Pages

Thursday, January 9, 2014

ChiBeria

After many months of saying, "winter is coming", it finally arrived and coated my favorite city in ice and snow. Temperatures as low as -35 F kept everyone inside this week. The roads were so treacherous that I could not physically get to my interview in Indiana on Tuesday (not by car, plane, train or bus).



It was so cold that the Lincoln Park Zoo moved its resident polar bear indoors. Lots of people enjoyed the wonders of science by trying out a few of these subzero-appropriate experiments. And despite the miserable weather the city still looked as stunning and gorgeous as it usually does.

On a little bit of a sadder note, on Monday my mom and I found this bird outside, stuck in the snow. We brought it in to warm up and at first it seemed to be doing better -- hopping around, eating some seeds -- but when we got home from work on Tuesday the bird had passed away. She must have been sick & unable to seek shelter from the storm, so I hope she was comfortable at least :/



I'm telling you, this city of mine keeps you tough. It feels like home more than ever. After a few days of break I am ready to get back to work and to keep on moving forward...

No comments:

Post a Comment