Pages

Tuesday, March 6, 2012

CrossFit - 1, Kat - TBD

Delayed onset muscle soreness (DOMS) is a bitch. Last night I took my first CrossFit class and woke up this morning feeling like I had been hit by a truck. Seriously, it was some kind of exercise hangover. Despite going to bed late, I woke up around 6:30am, unable to get back to sleep, with a dry, parched throat and wicked headache. I probably skimped on the carbs yesterday, but I definitely hydrated, so I guess this is just part of my weakling body getting whipped into shape. This past weekend I prepped my body by picking up some new (and needed) gear.

Some new Nike trainers, I'm sure they'll be dirty in no time.

I've been wanting to try CrossFit for a while now. I have a few friends that do it, and though I'm not the most competitive person out there, the self-challenge aspect of the program appealed to me. I snagged a Chicago Gilt deal for Atlas CrossFit in the city and signed up for their Elements Program. It's basically a six session program where they teach you the basics of CrossFit and try to prevent you from hurting yourself. My coach Tim is super friendly and encouraging, and I'm trying to stay confident despite the fact that it's little old me + 4 mildly in-shape dudes.

During the first session we learned a few basic moves and did a intro WOD (workout of the day). You keep track of your times for each particular WOD, and after more training you try to beat your personal records. Below is the workout that kicked my ass. I thought I was going to throw-up afterwards but my body pulled through and I was OK. I may not be able to do real push-ups or pull-ups yet, but I had the best air squat in our group :) Our WOD consisted of:


1x 500m row
2x 25 air squats, 20 mat crunches, 15 push-ups, 10 jumping pull-ups, 5 burpees

Tomorrow we'll cover basic lifting moves -- I'm so excited! It's something I've wanted to learn for a while now. I'm sick of being scrawny and weak, and I'm ready to put on some muscle. Hopefully my body recovers a little bit by tomorrow night because right now I can barely get my clothes on. I've been taking Advil and rubbing Tiger Balm onto whatever body part is sore all day. Tonight my foam roller became a Medieval Torture device, but I think my self-care routine will help me feel better faster. I'm planning on icing while reading some Hunger Games before bed.

Trying to regain some range of motion. I was too weak to walk my dog today.

I really shouldn't be reading Hunger Games right now because I literally have ZERO free time with school getting in the way of having a normal life. I also really shouldn't be driving into the city 3x a week either, but c'est la vie. School has gotten crazy busy (understatement), my Step 1 exam is a measly three months away (FML), and I'm going to New York City this weekend for a friend's bachelorette celebration (yay!). I was stressing pretty badly today so I started cleaning out my closet like the Type A person I am. My mom did make me a tasty treat (yes I live with my parents, it's not glamorous but I am saving lots of money). Behold coconut milk rice pudding with fresh mango! YUM.


So that's it. My exciting day. See you all soon-ish.

No comments:

Post a Comment